Monday, November 4, 2013

Week Three: Beta Food Pellet Added

From the initial set-up of our MicroAquariums to week one, the organisms in our tanks were only feeding on what was captured in the tank from the start (plants, other organisms, etc.) I felt I had noticed a decrease in activity from the set-up to week one, and this was probably because the organisms were dying or hiding. On Monday October 28, 2013 Dr. McFarland added one beta food pellet to our tanks (McFarland 2013). The ingredients of Atison's Betta Food made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104. are fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. Analysis: Crude Protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude Fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8% and Ash 15% (McFarland 2013). 

I was not able to identify any new organisms this week (Dr. McFarland had assisted me in identifying close to 8 different organisms last week!), but I did notice more activity in the tank, especially around the food pellet. It also seemed that some of the Cyclops sp. had grown a bit larger (I had only seen smaller ones and/or juveniles in the previous week).

I hope in the following week I am able to: capture more photos to study, identify new and different organisms, and see division or reproduction of organisms.

No comments:

Post a Comment